A bit later than I hoped, but as promised here’s the before and after photos of our new dormer and staircase. This part of the project was by far the most complex and hard to live through. I almost forgot about those days until I started compiling this set, but now that I remember it is pretty much our one year anniversary of the project start (Jan. 12, 2007)! We’ve come so far!
View the full photo set on my Flickr.
Right away, the roof was ripped off and at the same time the duct work, heating, electrical and plumbing were all being re-routed. We lived through windstorms and rain flooding the staircase, part of the attic, kitchen, basement and the ceiling of the room we were living in. This was to be expected since we started in a bad season, but the lack of central heating and any plumbing for a few weeks was the worst. Our friends loaned us space heaters that we used on the few circuits still intact and we showered every chance we could at the gym, and brushed teeth with bottled water or at work.
Boy, I am so thankful for that to be over and to have a beautiful master suite to wake up in every morning thanks to the access this new dormer gave us. Without it, we wouldn’t have been able to make the basement or attic a legal living space because you couldn’t move any furniture up or down the poorly designed original staircase. Walking into the basement before you would hit your head ala Tim Allen on Home Improvement, but worse. Anyways, on to the pictures!
After: The new view into the attic/master bedroom. The curved staircase is supported structurally by the half wall in between, otherwise I would’ve preferred a spindled staircase with wood treads. There was no avoiding the structural engineering work necessary to make the stairs legal so we compromised by doing the more modern carpeted staircase
Next up: The pantry/nook, main floor bathroom and new basement bathroom.