We spent a lot of time canvassing google and the houseblog network to learn more about stripping brick before we started. We ended up doing a lot of trial and error and finally succeeded with a hybrid approach. One of the most helpful series of fireplace stripping posts are from Bungalow ’23 and Westview Bungalow
We tried a number of stripping products, the first pass of which was with SoyGel and CitriStrip to cut down on the causticity that are present in most hardcore stripping products. Both products had similar results. They cut through the first 2-3 layers of paint, but the problem was in the horrific clean up as shown below.
Our fireplace had really pitted, rough surface bricks, which presented the main challenge. We had to use many types of brushes to get into the crevices. We did a second pass with CitriStrip to get closer to the brick. Heat guns and the Silent Paint Remover had no effect on the brick as they just absorbed the heat, so we figured we had to do this the “hard way.”
At this point, we sort of gave up for well over a year because of the intense amount of elbow grease necessary. Taking some time to step back actually gave us the opportunity to come up with a more efficient process, that actually gave us a breakthrough technique… well, at least, we think so.
During our hiatus, we saw the blog posts about using Peel Away on fireplace brick. We heard Peel Away 1 was carried at Sherwin Williams with the peel off sheets with the decided it was worth a try. We did a test brick and decided to try a bigger sample. In general, with our pitted brick, the “peel away” part of Peel Away didn’t really work (which we expected), but the product definitely sucked the paint out of the brick better than we expected!
Where our new technique came in, was with the stripper product clean-up. This could be utilized with any liquid product, although we are partial to Peel Away as we felt it would’ve been quicker to use from the get go.
First, we purchased a small paint spraying gun from Harbor Freight that we used with our air compressor*. We followed these steps to finish off our project, which you could follow from the get go.
Using pressurized water to clean the brick at close range was beneficial for a number of reasons:
*Note: We don’t think that a homegrade stand-alone paint spraying gun would work, but if someone tries it and it works, let me know.
Our next step after we get all the woodwork finished, we plan on cleaning up and darkening the brick using the technique given at 1912 Bungalow, using a mixture of 50/50 boiled linseed oil and mineral spirits.
First we cleaned out the attic area and took “before” photos as shown here:
We started the demo the next morning. A couple hours into the demo, we happened upon our